Annex 23 to Regulation 70-81, as amended by Regulation No. 69-01
- No person shall own or operate a taxi or act as a taxi broker without being issued a license by the Municipality and paying a fee for such a license.Owners of taxi must be insured for a minimum of $2,000,000 for personal injury and property damage, including passenger hazards.
- The owners must have a taxi licence for each taxicab.
- All cab drivers must hold a valid Class G driver’s license for Ontario or better and a license to drive a cab from the Municipality.
- Taxi brokers or individuals receiving calls for taxis and making the distribution of drivers must also obtain a permit. Brokers and taxi cabs must operate in a suitable place in a designated commercial area, equipped with a commercial telephone and enough parking spaces on site for the number of taxis operated.
- The taxi owners and brokers must keep accurate records of each trip, including dates, times, origin and destination, drivers and taxi numbers.
- Provisions are included for the transfer of licenses due to the sale of the business and the purchase of new vehicles.
- Taxicab meters are monitored and tested periodically by the Municipality.
- Taxis will be kept in good condition and will be clean.
- Vehicles over 2 years at the time of license application or renewal must be mechanically certified and in safe condition.
- Smoking is not permitted in taxicabs.
- Taxi drivers must deliver their fares to their destinations by the shortest possible route.
- Fare rates are set by the Municipality and the rates must be posted in the taxicab.
- A rate may be charged while waiting for passengers.
- Link to the Taxi By-law here