Signs, Billboards and Notices
Regulation No. 5-99
- Prohibits the installation of any sign or billboard on public or private property without a permit issued for that purpose by the Chief Administrative Officer or Chief Building Official.
- Prohibits the posting of signs and notices on utility, street light and traffic directional poles.
- Some exceptions are recognized for community services signs and election campaigns.
- Prohibits the posting of “garage sale” notices on all public lands, except in those areas designated by Hearst Council for such purpose.
- Billboards are restricted to highway corridor areas.
- Signs are limited in residential areas to a maximum surface area of 0.5m² (5.4 square feet), and must be mounted on the surface of a wall.